In January last year I went to Los Angeles and I am still dreaming from what was the most amazing trip. And trust me I have been to a lot of places but this was the cream of the crop.
Anyone planning an LA trip here are some tips and tricks to make this one of the most memorable vacations, be it with friends, family or someone special…
1. Flights: I flew with Virgin Atlantic. I’ve said it before but I find them amazing to travel with as they provide a super service and free booze!!! Saying that you will need a connecting flight so just make sure you are in the right airport. I landed into Heathrow only to realise the connecting flight to Dublin was from Gatwick!
Saying that, if you sit tight, AerLingus will be running direct flights to LA in the coming months! Dreamy!
2. Accommodation: While hotels are great with all mod cons etc I would advise getting yourself an AirBnB. I stayed in one in West Hollywood. It was a double en suite room with a coffee machine! It was perfect. Plus, you won’t be spending much time in the room. And it’s a cheaper option. Also with AirBnB you can spend a few nights in Hollywood and then venture to Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach for the remainder of your stay.
3. Getting around: While renting a car is super handy, you could just get the Uber App and use that. If you select Uber pool it means you can share the car with others and save so much dollars! Trips were costing less than $10. One trip to Santa Monica only cost $11 which, if you I got a regular taxi could cost $30+….. One Uber driver even suggested that we use them to drive around the Hollywood Hills to see the sights. We didn’t get to do it but great to know.
Public transport isn’t widely used in LA but always worth checking out the local buses if you aren’t rushing around.
4. Touristy Things: We all know Hollywood is famous for………celebs!! You can’t really avoid it. One day I had hours to spare so I took a tour around Beverly Hills visiting all the famous homes and movie sets. The drivers are also tour guides and know every intrinsic details when comes to these expansive hotel like homes! We saw where Marilyn Monroe once resided and even the store where Julia Roberts got kicked out of in Pretty Woman. Even Kimye’s (Kim Kardashian and Kanye West) oversized concrete jungle is only a stones throw from the road.
The Hollywood Walk of Fame is where the tours leave from so after you can walk in the footsteps of some of the worlds most famous people such as Michael Jackson, David Bowie and many many more.
After that it is worth taking a stroll along Sunset Boulevard to see all the famous hotels, grab some food and maybe some shopping if the budget allows.
Santa Monica Pier, Muscle Beach and Venice Beach are all worth visiting. Get some ice cream along the pier, try some pull ups in the outdoor gym and take in the weird and wonderful glory of Venice beach.
5. Eating and Drinking: God Bless America! The home of fried food and large portions. Here are some places I suggest trying: